Saturday, February 23, 2013

Skipping Bagels

Yesterday, I woke up to a beautiful morning. Let me rephrase. Yesterday, I woke up to yet another beautiful, Logan, Utah morning. And it felt like the start to a really good day. 
So I put on a skirt. Because, you know, looking good can never hurt (actually, that's a lie, looking good usually hurts, but it was worth it because I had a cute, new jacket that matched the skirt). 
And I put on a frilly shirt. 
And I curled my hair. 
And I put on an "adorkable" little hat that I've been saving for a special occasion.
I zipped up my bright orange jacket.
And then, because I was feeling extra bold, I borrowed my roommate Charlotte's red lipstick.

And looked like a Julie Andrews wannabe. 


I had made no plans for the day other than to go feed the ducks at First Dam. So, that's what we did! And we looked classy. That could have been because the only other people there were two dock fishers, lines in the water and camo pants rolled to their calves, but I like to think positive.

See, there's one behind Hayley and Chaia. 

And the other behind Chaia and I.


We had a HUGE bag of bread. It was a collection of stale rolls from Golden Corral, some lemon pound cake that I made to give to my visiting teachees on Valentine's Day (yeah, that didn't happen), some cheap, about-to-go-bad rolls Charlotte bought at Smith's, and, some rock solid Asiago Cheese Bagels.

Hayley decided it would be funny to throw an entire roll into the water to see what would happen.

Guess what happened.

It hit land. And I laughed.


Those poor things were so confused. Someone had just thrown a golden rock at the snow, so I understand why it took them a few moments of pondering before they tried to bite it. 


Once they'd established that the rock was edible, they tried various ways to gobble that thing up. One of them finally smartened up, pushed it into the water, waited for it to get soggy and then ate it.

In the meantime, Chaia threw bread at Hayley while Hayley pretended to eat bread.

When we'd finished eating/throwing/feeding wild birds with the bread, we did other weird stuff. 

Like stabbing each other in the back with icicles,

 taking silly pictures,

posing,

acting like rockstars,

sword fighting (again, with icicles)

and take pictures like Jack and Rose from Titanic.

Even though I got to feed ducks, 

and be with the greatest friends,

the best part of this outing was how excited Chaia got when she skipped a rock solid asiago cheese bagel across the water when she threw it like a frisbee.


"DID YOU SEE THAT, GUYS! I SKIPPED A BAGEL! I JUST SKIPPED A BAGEL ACROSS THE WATER!"


I'm glad to be surrounded by people who make their own fun and choose to include me in it!
 I live a blessed life.





No comments:

Post a Comment